Friday, March 5, 2010

"--the rare, the fine, the beautiful--"
Charles Lewis Tiffany (1812-1902)


I love this quote for the treasures we find in out daily lives, a kid's smile, a favorite song or a special present. A gift for today--then and now

NOW
It is not what I expected at the birthday party. My eyes popped when my granddaughter, Sarah, opened her present. "Oooh," she gushed, "a Coach!" I was shocked. A designer bag for a fifteen-year old? We admired the purse, a wristlet in Op-Art and Sarah's obvious delight. Then I remembered my teen=age purse, the color of raspberry to match a straw hat. I thought I was a fashion first!
I had the same feeling when I saw the London photo of Papa Tom Cruise carrying Suri, his three-year-old daughter, clutching a mini-Ferragamo purse. Or glancing at an upscale show window in the mall at a taupe goatskin wallet. But really--four figures for a wallet?

My new bag is practical. Generic, shiny, turquoise and huge--holds everything from a mini-library to a furry Dalmatian key ring. Never have to grope for my car keys. As I say, it's practical and perfect, but not as exciting as that first raspberry purse
THEN
NYC--1945. I remember the glistening jeweled bags at Tiffany's on the main floor. As pages, Marty and I would stand by the marbled-framed mirror near the glass counter for ladies' bags, eyes glazed. The evening bags sparkled in silver or gold, studded with diamonds, sapphires or precious stones. When the salesman would let us peek inside at the meticulous fittings, I would think, "How my mother would love this!"

Mother's purse was black in a soft leather, worn at the edges from years of use, bulging in the middle. Its contents were mysterious and held the fragrant scent of Lady Esther powder. Always she kept an extra handkerchief for me and would occasionally knot a nickel or a few cents in the corner. With my girl friend, we'd roller skate downtown to the movies, swinging our handkerchiefs. I'd never felt so rich!
Handbags, purses-whatever-are our personal connection to the world. What magical moments do you remember about a favorite handbag?

1 comment:

  1. For our high school trip to Disneyland I stayed up all the night before sewing a patchwork purse out of various shades of brown and gold corduroy. This way it matched both the brown jumper I'd made AND the gold dress. Since I hadn't gotten much sleep, Disneyland was kinda a blur. The year was 1969.

    ReplyDelete